PhD position: Organic Plastic Crystals: addressing the next generation of TES systems based on solid-solid PCMs
|Sub Research Field:
Solid-solid phase change materials (PCMs), particularly organic plastic crystals (OPCs), hold great potential for next-gen thermal storage systems. They combine the simplicity and cost of traditional solid materials with the high energy density of PCMs. OPCs, with transitions from 40°C to 200°C, suit both building and industrial applications. Nevertheless, further exploration of these materials and their enhancement is necessary to fully unlock their potential and penetrate the energy storage market.
The main goal of this PhD thesis is to develop and optimize solid-solid PCMs based on OPCs, aiming to attain superior thermal properties while gaining insights into their underlying mechanisms and assessing their techno-economic feasibility.
Key tasks for doctoral candidate:
• Synthesis of coatings with different natures (polymeric, ceramic, hybrid, etc.).
• Synthesis and processing of solid-solid PCMs, including their doping with functionalized particles and their combination with other solid-liquid PCMs.
• Deep materials characterization by, for example, Hot Disk, Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC), Thermogravimetric Analysis (TGA), dilatometer, Helium pycnometer, Dynamic Mechanical Analysis (DMA), Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM), dilatometry, particle size distribution, XRD, surface area BE, mechanical testing, etc.
• Assessment of the techno-economic feasibility of scaling up and manufacturing processes for the material, as well as evaluating its impact on a Thermal Energy Storage (TES) system.
Area: Thermal energy storage (TES)
Research group: Phase Transitions and Critical Behaviors
DESCRIPTION OF THE INSTITUTION:
• WHO ARE WE? https://cicenergigune.com/en/who-are-we
• WHERE ARE WE? https://cicenergigune.com/en/welcome
• OUR FACILITIES: https://cicenergigune.com/en/platforms-facilities
• TES RESEARCH GROUPS: https://cicenergigune.com/en/thermal-storage-research
For more details on CIC energiGUNE's research activities please visit our website at http://www.cicenergigune.com
• 3 years predoctoral contract and professional development opportunities.
• Flexible working hours and with on-site work model with the option to eventually telework.
• Full access to cutting-edge laboratory facilities and characterization platforms.
• The incorporation to a top research center in Europe that makes high quality research and impactful contributions to the energy and sustainability fields.
• Professional and personal development: opportunity to attend seminars, international conferences, trainings, etc.
• Integrated, enthusiastic, international and multidisciplinary environment.
• A welcome program that offers help with finding accommodation and addresses other aspects to help you integrate into the local environment (such as free language courses, assistance with the administrative procedures, help with schools for children…).
For more information: https://cicenergigune.com/en/work-with-us
Comment/web site for additional job details
All applicants are invited to submit their application a detailed curriculum vitae at this website:
The selection process ends once the candidate is selected.
CIC energiGUNE is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity, and the diversity of its workforce.