Quantum Technologies Scientific Director
|Sub Research Field:
Ikerbasque, in alliance with the DIPC, is opening the call for applications for the position of QUANTUM TECHNOLOGIES SCIENTIFIC DIRECTOR.
The new Scientific Director should prove excellent scientific background in the field of quantum, paired with strategy and leadership skills to lead the consolidation of the quantum strategy for the future years. Only applicants with a strong scientific and leadership background will be considered.
The Scientific Director should be a person with a solid research track record in the area of HPC and quantum technologies and at least 15 years research experience after the completion of the PhD. She/He should also have experience in the top management of high-profile research institutes which would include: defining and deploying strategies, running management duties. Expected candidates may also demonstrate a record of invited presentations in well-established international conferences, granted projects, awards, prizes, etc.
The purpose of this position will be to lead the research and innovation strategy of the Basque Country in the area of quantum. The Basque Government is pursuing a strong and sustained investment of over 120 million euro in research, development and innovation in the field of quantum technologies, through its IKUR 2030 Strategy.
This strategy currently includes five quantum areas: Communication, Computation, Simulation, Sensing/Metrology and Basic Science.
These topics will be deployed in four core research lines:
- Fundamentals of quantum technologies
- Development of materials for quantum technologies
- Developments in photonics with applications in quantum technologies
- Development of software and engineering to accelerate experimentation, application, and transfer
The position of Quantum Technologies Scientific Director will carry a permanent contract based in the Basque Country, competitive salary and excellent working conditions to establish and develop a solid research career in Ikerbasque. The envisaged starting date of the position will be the second semester of 2023 (or at the earliest convenience of the appointed candidate).
Duties and responsibilities of the position
- Revise and implement the quantum technologies strategy for the 2023 – 2030 period in coordination with the Basque Government
- Define the long-term R+D+I strategy in quantum technology
- Define research lines in quantum technology
- Be responsible for Quantum Technologies infrastructure’s system
- Propose a higher education innovative academic offer in the field of quantum technology
- Identify quantum technology research impact opportunities
- Propose and direct the deployment of the annual scientific plans
- Set and be responsible for the accomplishment of the strategic objectives
- Obtain national and international research funding
- Identify and attract the necessary research personnel at senior and junior level, with a special commitment to coaching, mentoring and development of Research Line leaders
- Develop the international research collaborations
- Be capable and skilled at media relations and public speaking with both scientific and lay audiences
Interested candidates should send the following information by email to email@example.com:
- a letter of interest, including a description of past research and leadership experience and future proposed plan for the position
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Appointment to start in the 2Q 2023 or at the earliest convenience of the selected candidate
More information: https://www.ikerbasque.net/en/calls/quantum-technologies-scientific-director
Comment/web site for additional job details